Sunday, June 19, 2011

Doing very little.

I am surprised at how easy it becomes to do very little. It can become kind of infectious.  There is so much to do when you don't do much, and then getting anything real done really gets in the way.

Summer arrives Tuesday.  My work time is cut to three days a week.  I expected to use the newly available time to do new exciting, physically and intellectually invigorating things.  It's not really happening.  A lot is happening instead, but nothing of any consequence.  And that becomes easy, and I certainly can't say it isn't enjoyable.

I see friends, I cook, I do a few errands, that can take up almost all day, if I have all day to do it. I have even played golf. (talk about letting time just fade away)  I'm even improving slightly.  Today I went out in a kayak, then I got to see my kid (Happy Father's Day).  Tomorrow is more of the same.  Friends, errands, cooking. There is a grandchild to bother, and another one coming.

 I thought that I would be reading, writing, thinking, exploring, with all the new available time.  It's not happening. Can't even find time to sit with a book for a full hour.

I was able to watch the Bruins.  They Won!  That was fun, watching Marchand skate around punching people, and then scoring.

It's very easy doing not much.  I don't like anything getting in the way.  They days I work, I work, but they days that I don't, I don't want to be distracted from not doing much.

I still have things I have to get done, things that need to be done important things.  Here is my list for the intermediate future:

1. Change the direction that mental health treatment is going in this country.  It is being pushed off as much too biologically determined, and much to medical.  That needs to change.

2.  Explain the evolutionary process and purpose of consciousness.  This is kind of a hobby of mine. This has not yet been explained to my satisfaction.

3.  And also, help solve the Israel -- Palestine problem.  That situation has dragged on for my whole life.  It's enough already.

But, the summer is coming and I don't think I will get to any of this until at least early October.  I have much too much "not much" to do, and lots of friends are coming up for the summer. There is a grandchild to bother.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

This reminds me of the saying, if you want something done ask a busy person. :)

I have much too much "not much" to do, and lots of friends are coming up for the summer. There is a grandchild to bother.

Sounds like a lot of fun and much more preferable to the list. ;) Enjoy your summer.

Lena said...

Go for it! The things on your list will still be there when you are ready... if ever!

Enjoy!!

Forsythia said...

I, too, thought there would be tons of free time after I retired in June, 2006. Mom was still living with us then, but even after she died in December, 2009, there still was little extra time. Maybe I'm a poor manager of my time, but really, this seems ridiculous!

Bongo said...

I hope you enjoy your summer with family and friends,,ohhh and there is a grand daughter to bother LOL..as always...XOXOXO