Friday, August 26, 2011

Irene is coming!

After a week at work we have returned to the beach house.  We are about 1/4 mile from the water, but our beach faces north, so we will get the back end of the storm.  We await the fury of nature. We feel we are ready, although we really have not done much besides bring in some of the things from outside.

Like most humans we tend to believe a little too much in the positive, overestimate our own abilities, and base too much on what happened in the past.  Last year we had similar, but not quite so dire warnings.  I went down to the beach and took a "before" picture.  The next day I returned to the same spot and took another picture  -- they were identical.

This time will be different.  But I am ready.  I am seasoned, I am tough, I am ready for whatever the gods of wind, rain and the sea have to throw at me.

I only hope that the power doesn't go off because then we won't be able to run the dishwasher or do laundry.

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

Last time you opened your beach house "the people poured in." Not likely to happen this time. You will blessed with solitude. Enjoy. Be safe.