Sunday, April 15, 2012

Money comes and goes

Last week I was messing around, trying to send a few pictures of my granddaughters to my friends.  I worked out this quick way to take them, edit them and send them, without even using words or anything.  Then I got a call from some guy in California offering me $500 million for the whole idea.  Can you imagine the nerve, $500 million.  I told him not to call again unless he would give me at least 2X that.  Now I'm working on something even better.  It only does pictures of kittens.


Nooo, that didn't really happen.  What did happen was that I was in my office seeing all kinds of people with all kinds of problems.  In fact, on one day last week I saw two different people whose father died, one person whose cat died, one person whose dog died and a woman whose husband was just diagnosed with cancer.  


 I was trying my best to do something for them using the limited powers of my skill set.  I realize they are limited because Medicare, followed by other, "private" insurance companies, cut what they pay me by 5%.  Medicare had been giving me raises of 3% +/-  per year, but this is an election year.   Two of the private companies have not raised what they pay me for 20 years!


But, I also read that the CEO of Liberty Mutual Insurance Company last year was paid $50,000,000.  That's I guess because of his brilliance at cutting what everyone else gets.  His board voted him that salary.  Of course, he pays his board $200,000 to come to four meetings a year and vote on his salary.  That is what they call a "free market."


Money comes, money goes.  If you think too much about it will drive you crazy, You will end up in my office, and I will not be getting rich by seeing you.

No comments: