Monday, July 09, 2012

Back to work

The summer will continue, but for now, I am returning to my office.  I did have a marvelous week at the beach house.  I did get to go to the beach with my grandgirls, although Elmo stayed at the house.  We threw rocks into the waves, we sat on the edge of the water and made splashes. I got to see my children be parents, which is kind of weird, but certainly an experience, and it made me very happy and  a little sad (becasue I don't want to be old)..

Now I am in the re-entry phase.  I picked up my messages and made several phone calls.  I have a lot of appointments this week before I get to go back to the beach.  Some of them have already canceled, others have left messages seeking an appointment and they will will the openings.

Also, I have been perusing some of the blogs of my colleagues.  Most of those are done as kind of marketing tools.  They usually try to spread some psychological wisdom around the Internet.  They give suggestions about how to be active in the summer, how to get people to listen to you, how to be more confident, how to daydream creatively, how to daydream destructively; in general how to live your life in a better, healthier way, if you have any time left after reading how to do all those things correctly.

But this blog is not like that.  As you know this is the anti-marketing blog.  This is where I tell you that I have a very busy week ahead, but there are a few people, a real minority, like 15%, that bother me, and that overshadows my thinking about the folks I am eager to see.  Most of the people I see are working hard to change their lives.  Many are struggling against "strong headwinds." as our President likes to say about the economy.

But there is this small group of patients are really nuts, and they ain't going to get much better, and they weigh me down.  They are the ones who make phone calls while I'm away.  They are bad with boundaries, they are bad with time, they make bad decisions and they don't take responsibility and have little insight, and they talk and talk and talk.

I am sure every therapist, especially if you have been in business for a while, has a bunch of these, but they don't seem to talk about them on their blogs.

So, put on a smile, as it helps your neurology, develop a positive attitude, enjoy the summer, be nice to your friends and family, eat only food that is good for you, don't go into debt, exercise regularly, sleep well, don't worry needlessly, stand-up straight, breath deeply, meditate once in a while, think before you act, and break your addictive habits.  And don't call your therapist unless you need to change your appointment time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the kind of blogs you mean. They are rather boring.