Monday, September 23, 2013

social anxiety


I am slowly reading through the comments and questions I have received from my Listserve post ten days ago.  I am going through them when I can, but I also have have my day-job, the three grand-kids, a wedding I attended, a bit of time with the wife and friends, and then the Sox clinched the pennant and the patriots caught the ball and won another game.

But a few of the questions were about how to deal with social anxiety.  As one woman put it:

I'm in a field that requires a lot of 
networking, but I have a lot of social anxiety when I spend time with these 
people outside a professional setting. I don't feel like I belong, that I have 
any right to be there. I get seized by dread. Any advice?

These feeling on not belonging, not being worthy, feeling conspicuous, and constantly
lacking, are very common, much more than anyone who has them realizes, mostly because 
no one talks about them.  But they can be very powerful, and they put a great strain on a
person's life, and a strain on the lives of others who depend upon them.

I have treated many, many people who have many different shades of anxiety disorders, and most of them make a great deal of progress and function much better.  Only a few are ever  completely free of  those feelings and are never bothered again.

It is because of this I am fairly certain there is some genetic component to this.  Some          people are designed to be more sensitive and more reactive.  There are good parts to that, 
to being more aware of how other people feel, and what is going on around you, but it can 
get way overdone and make a person so uncomfortable and be such a strain that it greatly   limits their lives.

That isn't to say that the cause is totally genetic; that is never the case.  But when someone who is prone to anxiety is put through circumstances of great stress, ambiguity, or is with  people or in circumstances that they cannot control, they are vulnerable to panic attacks     and strong feelings of anxiety, doom and dread.  

Given all that, this was my reply to the people who asked about social anxiety:

Social anxiety really sucks.
some tips:
1.  When you go into an social setting don't expect to be fine; that will only disappoint you and make it seem worse.  Expect the anxiety and sit with it. See if you can let it pas through you.
2.  Of course you belong -- we are all united by our real insignificance -- even if you don't feel it.  if you are surrounded by people and feel tense, just sit and observe.  Don't pressure yourself to talk until you want to.  Try to pay attention to the conversation more than your internal feelings.  If you can show people you are actually listening to them they will be very flattered and they will think you're a great person.
So, that was my "Internet Advice," It's worth about as much as she paid for it.  I hope it was helpful.  Anxiety increases when people try to control things that are not within their power to control.  Your mind churns and churns trying to find a solution.  Then you feel that your mind is out of control and you must be crazy.  That's when things get worse.
Anyway, I hope that none of you feel like that today.  
Enjoy the beautiful Autumn weather. ( and forgive me for the disjointed formatting, I'm not sure where it came from.)



No comments: