Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The End is Coming!! At least for me

It’s getting near the end for me as a hands-on clinician.  It’s been a long trip.  I feel almost very good about all I’ve done.  I find it interesting that I still feel very haunted by the people who baffled and frustrated me.  I also feel very gratified by the people who have done well and gone on to better lives.  This is especially true for almost all of the final group of people, I’m seeing, especially the ones I saw today.  The are all ending well.
I still hope to be productive.  I still feel there is so much to be done and that the methods most mental health people use, while very helpful, are also very limited and not really up to the task of meeting the needs of our society.
We are beginning to do better with many physical diseases and disabilities, but psychological and emotional problems are so much more complex.  They rarely, if ever, have just one cause.
We are also living during a very strange and stressful time of transition. Yes, the world has always been stressful, and  for the last hundred years there have been major, dramatic changes in the lives of people all over the world, ever since the beginning of the industrial revolution.  But now the pace of change is accelerating, and the rules of life are changing.  The skills people need to do well and prosper are very different than the ones that were required for me to make a living and raise a family.  Things were much more predictable then.
So many of my patents now live with so much stress because of work and finances.  Companies are being bought every day.  Companies that never make the news, but they are bought and most of the people are let go.  New companies start, but most of them don’t make it.  There is a great deal of loyalty to employees in the beginning, but it can disappear with one bad quarter, or if the company does so well that it gets bought, a few people get rich and the rest get unemployment.
I am thankful my kids seem to be stable and skillful, at least for now.  Even they have a different outlook on the world than I did.  They know that things can change, and they would have no control over it.
My grandchildren are beautiful, charming, creative, brilliant and having fun.  The oldest is 5 1/2.  What will ten years do to her?  Will the stress of school, competition, change, college, social networks, constant media in-put, and robots become overwhelming?  Or will our families, societies, governments and business learn to adjust in ways that make life interesting, meaningful  and fun?
I don’t know.  I think that is the uncertainty that is driving so much of this angry, confusing election cycle.
Will we be scared, mistrustful and selfish, just to save ourselves? Or will we finally overcome some of those interpersonal barriers and use all of our new technologies to make things better for all of us?  
I think we will know a little more in a few months, but the change and the chaos still have a few years before more is figured out.  
In many ways it is a relief for me to become more of an observer and commenter, than to have to try to help everyone navigate through all the uncertainties. 


Keep your eyes open.  Think about what’s coming.  Think about what you want to do.  Think about what you should do after that.  It takes an effort to make sure we take the time to reflect and not just react, especially when things seem to be different than they were ten minutes ago.

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

I'm going to write a short note to each grandson every week or two and send it by snail mail. I already sent a short note to our older grandson when we were away last month. He seems to have enjoyed receiving mail. In the future, the novelty may wear off and the boys may just let the notes pile up unread. We'll see. It's an experiment.