Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tuesday, Thursday

I had a great session with Max yesterday. He was telling me about his Thanksgiving. It was the first one is seven years that he wasn't drunk. He cooked, he was sociable. He don't get loud, bossy and obnoxious. He didn't drive everyone out of the house. People even called up and told him what a great time they had and how good it was to see him.

He was very grateful.

But he wasn't. I pushed him on that. He did say he resented his brother who came and brought his own beer and drank it. He didn't like how his brother rambled around the house, being loud, bossy and obnoxious. I could tell that Max was feeling deprived.

We worked on that, I thought.

Today Max's wife called. I called him back. He said they moved him off a project at work and didn't tell him it was coming. He quit his job, went home and got drunk.

Who is in charge here? How much is rational? Not with addictions.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Damn. I hate addictions. Just when you think you are making progress. It must be hard for you, too---I guess it's just plain hard for EVERYONE when dealing with or being an addict trying to break the habit. Damn.

Patty said...

Thank goodness Max has you in his corner, waiting for him to make the decision to start over, yet again.

I pray that he will find the glimmer of hope inside of himself that remains stronger than his addiction.

Casey said...

As an addictions counsellor myself...I understand. I hate addictions too....but oh...I so love the addicts! I know its hard...but just be there for him. His day will come.

Casey