Thursday, December 27, 2007

In the Blink

Things can just change. Blam.

Dad has a heart attack. Now he can't work. Someone needs to take care of him, so mom can't work for a while. Then everyone falls behind on the bills and and bills are worse because of the medical expenses.

It doesn't even have to happen to you directly. Last year Lex saw someone get run-over by a crane at work. Now he has panic attacks and can't make it to work some days. Disability doesn't like to pay for psychiatric stuff. It's very hard to document, and anyway, they had some psychologist come in and set everyone straight.

Even me, I woke up two days ago with my eye all puffed up. At my age everything can be the beginning of the end. What if this was serious?

Doesn't seem to be. It' cleared up. The best I can figure is that I had an allergic reaction to the very expensive Scotch I got to drink at Christmas. I'm not sure. It may be worth testing that theory a few times.

I've posted about so many of these things before: heart attacks, falling off the roof, auto accidents, strokes, houses burning, factories closing, jobs disappearing.

The worse part is when it's unexpected, and then people take it personally, as if they did something to deserve all that. Sometimes, if they were drinking, gambling, drugging or speeding, maybe they did.

Usually, it's the way of the world -- random.

Drive carefully.

5 comments:

Warped Mind said...

In the blink of an eye all the best laid plans are for nothing. All we can do is learn to roll with the punches.

Lena said...

But you also must hear the about the random good things that happen to your clients. Hope to read some of those, too.

Anonymous said...

or even in between blinks....

Jamie said...

Happy New Year Therapist.

I wish you luck with the testing of the scotch and the swollen eye theory.

:)

Raine said...

interesting blog here