Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Another new year

Hey look, it's a new year!

Things are starting off well with riots in Sudan, Kenya and Pakistan, as well as wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and those are the ones that my country is somewhat involved in. I'm sure there are lots more.

People, running around shooting, screaming, crying, dying all trying their best to get... what?

Love, Power, Money, Sex, I guess.

I've seen many people in my little office last year, about 160 or so different ones. They too are trying their best to make themselves comfortable, have a good life, in whatever way they try to define it. They struggle valiantly, sometimes against long odds.

But, don't dare accuse this here human race of being rational or logical. We can each do that for a brief period of time, but then we lose it out of fear, passion, laziness, sloppy thinking, bad habits or misinformation.

Then, if no one stops us, we rise up and blame, scold, humiliate, hurt, or even kill each other.

Then we settle back and wonder how that happened.

So, in this new year I, your virtual therapist, would recommend that you take just a nanosecond some of the time to consider what you are doing and why. What are the consequences short and long term? Who else will really be affected? Is this really what I want or are you just doing it because it just came rushing out of you?

We have big, complex brains that can do great things, if you give them a chance.

If you do, I will assure you, it will be a better year for all of us.

3 comments:

velveteel said...

happy new year too.
don't get too depressed over human kind. You see many people who aren't going well, but remember that the ones feeling well don't feel the need to come to your door. So look around you, I am sure there are some happy faces.
Best wishes and please keep writing.

Raine said...

some of spend our lives consciously trying to not hurt anyone ever and we still get stomped

Jamie said...

Words I have lived by for years Therapist, but I thank you for the reminder.

Happy new year to you, too!