Monday, March 03, 2008

Then he said

Harry came back to see me. I saw him for a few months last year, and about three years ago I saw him for a year.

Harry is a major vice-president at a company you would recognize. He comes to me because he gets stressed out, and we have to keep on eye on his drinking. He also worries about having another marriage fail.

But Harry is obviously smart, alert, and does well with people. He didn't get where he is because his father owned the business. He knows how to deal with the world.

As the session wound down Harry began to tell me about things he's been reading and thinking about. He talked about new DNA technology, which is something I follow pretty closely. But slowly the thread of his conversation drifted and soon he was then telling me that he is convinced that part of our DNA has been improved by mixing with space invaders. He went on to say that he thinks he has met some "helpers" who have come from other galaxies, and that they are really all around us, just waiting for us to ask for their help and guidance. Earth is really just a big laboratory to them.

"That's not how I interpreted the data," I replied.

5 comments:

Warped Mind said...

I am convinced there is a fine line between brilliance and insanity. Some of the most intellectual people I have met have had really strange quirky side.

Amanda said...

It sounds... scary, doesn't it. Yet, unless Harry is unable to function, or wants to act upon these thoughts in a way that's dangerous to others, then I think it's ok.

There's many people like him in the world. All fairly functional, law-abiding citizens. I suspect these kind of thoughts occur to us mostly because of a need to spice up a life that has lost meaning and direction.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the smile this morning, Therapist. I'll bet you do run into some real characters.

:)

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's right ;-)

Anonymous said...

Have you seen In Treatment?

http://www.hbo.com/intreatment/


It's awesome :) You can check out full episoes right in the website.

enjoy :)