Monday, October 12, 2009

the time it takes

I'm going back to work tomorrow. My eye, which gets tired when I read a lot, will be fine when I just sit and talk to people, even if parts of them look a little blurry.

First I go get the eye checked, and then I'm off to work. I am pleased at how well and quickly I am healing. It makes me wonder how awful it is for my patients. They come to see me and in the first hour we discuss a course of treatment, and what we hope will happen. But for most people, it will take months, if not years to make changes in their minds and lives.

I waited five months to have this surgery, and now I have to wait another three to six months before the swelling in my eye will go away, and I don't want to wait. I feel like they, those who do modern medicine, should be able to just pug in a new eye, and I should go on my way, seeing better than I ever have before. But nooooo, I have to wait until the swelling goes away.

At least my doctors operated directly on my eye. In my business we don't have direct access to the mind. We don't even know where to find it for Chissakes. Yes, it has something to do with the brain, but what? And we don't even have direct access to the brain; at least not for psychological stuff.

So how can any anyone really expect efficient treatment, given how indirect it all is?

I think we are lucky to be doing as well as we are doing.

When you find you mind, let me know where it is.

3 comments:

KathyA said...

Yea on going back to work! I'd never really thought about where my 'mind' actually is. Maybe someplace between my past and my present? I'll be thinking about this all day...

Jamie said...

You know, sometimes my mind is up by butt...

happy to hear that you are better and going back to work.

:)

Amanda said...

I'm glad you're healing nicely! I guess the brain could do that too... under near perfect circumstances.

It needs the time it needs. I used to feel frustrated about that. Now I'm relieved, I figure as long as I remain in the path everything will be ok. Eventually.