Sunday, November 29, 2009

Enjoy the Season!

I hope you all had a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving. Mine went pretty well, we had friends, family and fun, and I did a lot of cooking.

Families can be the source of great pride, warmth and comfort. They can be nurturing, encouraging and/or just plain fun.

Of course there can be the other moments: if you younger sister is sleeping with your older sister's husband, or when Uncle Ben enters in his usual inebriated state and throws up on the turkey, or Mom gets offended when you spill the cranberry sauce on the table cloth so she runs crying to her room and stays there for three days. Did you miss cousin Rick because he's back in the slammer, and now you have to take care of his three totally undisciplined kids for three to ix years? Did your thin cousin mock your fat cousin mercilessly, until pudgy dumped four pounds of macaroni and cheese on slim's head. Or, when everyone raised a toast to say what they are thankful for, did Uncle Ray use the occasion to announce that he finally has the balls to leave Aunty Beth, after 27 years of a miserable marriage.

Feel free to join in on the chorus....

Happy Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, heh. I can't join in on the chorus because I dumped my whacko family and spent the day in peace. I did enjoy your funny scenarios, though (but only because I don't have to actually witness them anymore).

KathyA said...

1. None of the above, BUT one of us had a major melt down because there deer were in our yard and son convinced daughter the male was going to eat the fawn. (These are supposedly adult children. Things deteriorated from there. :) -- The result? For Christmas, we'll take each child and their spouse/children out to dinner SEPARATELY. We'll then have a peaceful meal together.
2. My brother went to Temple -- this would have been in the 80's. (He's 15 years younger than I). His apartment was robbed three times in the first year. I would hope things have improved since then. I understand the college has pretty much purchased all the surrounding property.

Amanda said...

I'd watch that soap opera. :)

Then again... the police was always a regular guest at our house and I once had to go pick up my parents from "the slammer" when I was 17 - so it all sounds fairly normal to me.