Monday, November 16, 2009

inherent difficulties

I treat, or try to treat, a lot of people who are depressed. Most are depressed because their lives are rotten: they are broke, they are in bad relationships, and even those end badly, their parents are/were, mean, abusive, negligent or crazy. Stuff like that. Loss, loneliness, illness, injury, all those bad things tend to add up.

When anyone gets depressed then their outlook turns negative, often hopeless. They feel that othing matters, nothing is enjoyable, nothing will help. That's what depression is.

So, when people feel that nothing will help, they don't show up for their appointments. Then I can't help them.

If they do come, I can help them. And things go well because they want to be helped, and they believe that there is hope. So, am I helping, or just being their while they get better?

If they don't come, they they have no hope and then they won't get better. Can I help that?

Dunno.

I can think good thoughts and send them their way, but it is difficult to know how far I can project these thoughts.

I can make a phone call, but who answers a phone these days.

So I leave a message.

Sometimes they call back.

No comments: