Saturday, January 16, 2010

Martha

If I didn't know better I would be really surprised at what is happening right here in my progressive, liberal, sometimes caring state. But I do know people and I understand. I see them every day and often spend hours listening to crazy logic, based on half-truths and lack of information.

It isn't the lack of information so much that is the problem. It is the lack of desire to go and find out; the information is there. It is the pervasive willingness to settle for a simplistic sound-bite, a winning smile, and a sprinkling of fear.

I mean really, we had Rudy Giuliani here yesterday talking about how fighting terrorism is our #1 priority.

Yes, and no. And who are the terrorists here, and there? === Not to minimize that there are crazy people in other places that really do hate us.

Anyway, there seems to be a real chance that some guy who is running as the male version of Sarah Palin could get elected here in one of the bluest of the blue.
If he wins, the real reason will be because he is a big, handsome, physical guy who is running against a smart, articulate woman. America, and probably the rest of the world, rarely looks to smart, articulate women to protect them and solve their problems.

We find it easier to go to war to keep the peace.

1 comment:

KathyA said...

I've been watching this election and thinking similarly! Very scary: stupidity is so dangerous.