Saturday, June 19, 2010

Googlized

I received a big yellow envelop in the mail this week.  It was from Google.  They congratulated me that the listing of my practice on Google Maps Business was one of the most popular in my area. I am one of only 250,000 businesses  in the whole country to receive this distinction. I also received a Favorite Place window sticker to display, with my own QR code right on it, so people can use their phones to go directly to my listing. So many people have clicked on to see my crinkled eye and somewhat smiling face. Several clicked further to look at my web-page. 

I need to redesign my web-page.  Being an early adapter I put it up in 1999 and have only revised it once when I removed my "Health Care Plan for America."  But that is a different story.

Now, I don't know if this is a real honor or if this is a way for them to just generate more money by getting me to buy more services.  But why always be so cynical?  (Isn't it obvious why?)

Then as I reflected a bit more I became a bit sad:  My psychotherapy practice is one of the most popular local business in my area?  What does that say about my area?  Shouldn't it be a cool restaurant or clothing store, or even a flower shop?  Did I out-do Wal-Mart?

How terrible are things that so many people are out there looking for psychotherapists? I wish I could take my honor as a boost for me personally, instead I feel kind of bad for the social state of my community.

I would feel better if more people clicked on the Happy Times Dance Band and Social Club.

But nope, the world wants more therapy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, there is another way of looking at it. At least people want to do something about their issues instead of shopping/drugging them away.