Friday, June 04, 2010

May has ended

May is tougher than you think. It always is. People naturally think that the Christmas holidays are psychologically rough times, and they are, but May is worse.

Why? I am never sure.

My best theory is that, like trees, the sap rises into people's brains and they get all kinds of ideas. In May it gets warm and people begin to act on things they have been thinking about all winter. I live in a climate where we have a real winter. The people here have not all moved down to where the beaches will be covered with oil.

I get more almost suicides in May. More couples break-up for ridiculous reasons, after being stuck together all winter. More bosses screw their secretaries, especially now that Xmas parties are more restrained. More housewives screw the plumbers. (I have two plumbers as clients). More money is spent foolishly. More people who remained sober since Christmas, break-out in May, usually with disastrous consequences.

I'm happy that it is now June. The ledges on the high bridges are empty again. Bring out the BBQ, spend time with the family. Fill up the above ground pool, mow the lawn. Chill out, enjoy the summer.

the "May-nia" is over.

4 comments:

Forsythia said...

Wow. This explains why I ordered 3 pairs of beige capris from Tog Shop, when I really needed only one. Been wondering what got into me.

Jane said...

" Bring out the BBQ, spend time with the family. Fill up the above ground pool, mow the lawn. Chill out, enjoy the summer."

Doesn't get much better than that!

KathyA said...

Think this may have been the problem with Tipper and Al?

Amanda said...

Reminds me of the old stock adage: Sell in May and go away.