Sunday, September 16, 2012

A life of the Times

My life seems to have melded with the current way of being.  Information, tasks, people, roles, ideas, news, opinions, all pour in constantly, with no interruption.  There are times when I can't really tell if a thought comes from something I just read, something someone told me, or was actually an idea of my own.

Often, it feels as if my life has been divided into several separate segments that barely overlap.  My work life, sitting in my office, seeing my patients, wondering, thinking, planning what to do for them and how. this has gone on for over thirty years.

My family, which has been with me even longer, has changed greatly over time.  I am still a husband, but now with a wife who wants to ease into the next stage of life.  I am a father, and now a grandfather, which is a very different role, with very different expectations, responsibilities and really, a very diminished amount of authority.

It is also much easier.

I have friends and activities that are further and further away from work, as many of my friends have eased up, or have stopped working.

I have a life of ideas in my head, especially since I have begun to think about the talk I will deliver, which I find interesting and stimulating, and which is putting me in contact with totally new ideas and new people.

It is all very busy, which is good.  It gets confusing, and difficult to prioritize, but I can work it out.
the main thing is to keep going and stay healthy.

And also not to get upset by a missed field goal as time expires.

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

An interesting reflection on "the next stage of life."