Monday, September 24, 2007

Repeat: Be honest

I have probably said this before, but it is really important.

Be honest with your therapist!

We are not going to reject you if you screw-up, even if you have screwed-up before.

Yes, we are happy when you make progress, and it makes us feel that we are all doing our part.

But, when I've been reassuring your probation office that you've been straight, clean and sober, and you end up passed out in the park, with a blood-alcohol of 3.4, don't come in and tell me that it was a medication reaction.

You see, I really think it is my job to find a way for you to learn new skills, like staying sober and being honest, but I need to know what is really going on.

I'm going home now,
maybe I'll have a drink, but at least I'll be honest about it.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sorry to hear it, T.

Been on both sides of that fence. It is a rotten feeling either way.

CCC said...

LOLOL! I know you're frustrated but the way you wrote about it made me laugh out loud. ;) have one for me, too.

I'll be at work training clients who are lying to me about *not* haveing McDonald's the night before. "I have no idea why I've gained 10 pounds, CCC!"

Patty said...

I get what your saying Therapist, and you are dead on. But don't you think, in order to be honest with you a person has to be willing to be honest with themselves, and many times if they were honest with themselves they might not need you?

Having said that, I am doing okay with being honest with myself, but I still need you. LOVE your blog, and look forward to reading it so keep it up for all of us readers.