Friday, February 15, 2008

"In Treatment"

From what I can tell the HBO show "In Treatment" is pretty cool. The therapist is pretty good, has a cool accent and has problems. His clients are attractive, dramatic, wildly verbal, very smart, challenging and diverse.

Just like my practice.

Except not.

I think it's good that the thing is on TV. Anything that gets folks to think about therapy, instead of just taking some pills, is a good thing.

Maybe my clients will see the show, rush in, spill their guts in half an hour. Then I can say a few pithy things that bring eye-popping insight. Their lives will dramatically change, and we can all break for a commercial.

This weeks I sat through thirty four hours of treatment, most of which were surprisingly like the previous session I had with each of these clients. Yes, things are changing, but the grass is growing and the paint is drying too.

But if I could compress ten to eighteen months of treatment into six weeks, it could look pretty much like the show.

I have to work on the accent. (and my chin).

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I haven't seen it, but I will look for it.

Thanks for the smile and have a good weekend. :)

Lena said...

Don't have HBO, but this is one DVD set I would be interested in renting, if it comes out.