Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Reactions to the Republicans

The Republicans are meeting now and I am watching it on TV.

I have two immediate reactions. NOTE: I am very biased.

1. The Republicans seem to glorify war. The short movie about the Navy Seal who died was moving, and really tragic. This really gallant young man died in a war that didn't need to be fought. He saved his comrades while fighting people who really offered no threat to this county. No one mentions that. The Republican honor soldiers as if they are fighting for the Republican Party, which, sadly, in some ways they were.

2. The Republican convention is always full of white people. This time they can't even find a few Black faces to put the cameras on. This time the convention is not only all white people, it is all old white people, probably all rich old white people. anyone from outside the country who looks in must feel that the USA is a homogeneous nation of war loving white people.

A large part of it is.

And, as Joe Lieberman says, John McCain is not your average Republican. That is true. He is much more often irrational, impulsive, and a man more comfortable in the world of forty years ago.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to react.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm probably as unbiased as one can get. (I've never voted, as I live outside the country, and I'm too lazy to vote by letter.)

But...yes. I've the same reactions.

Patty said...

I will happy take your word for things Therapist as I didn't watch the convention.

To be fair let me add that I didn't watch the democratic one either. I prefer to get my information from people I know/trust instead of staged media influenced hype.

Apreciate your comments.

Anonymous said...

So let's vote for obama so he can let the terrorists run amuck raping women and children and killing innocent people in industrialized paper shredders while using the aid America sends them for food to build weapons of mass destruction to destroy us with.

Yeah...that's a better plan.

Anonymous said...

Obama and Biden....ObamaandBiden.
Osamabinladen.

A little too coinkydink.

De Campo said...

It's a shame how the Republican Party has seemingly hijacked the military. I can't tell you the disgust which manifest in my stomach each time I'm thanked for my service by a Republican. Thanked for a war they sent me into, that they themselves wouldn’t fight.

On a lighter note, you should see their reaction when I let them know I'm a liberal.

Great blog! (but I'm biased)