Monday, September 14, 2015

Adjusting?

I've been back on this side of the bridge for over a week, but I'm still not good at it. I am reuniting with friends and family who are part of the world, but it's not going that well. Tomorrow will be my first day going back into my office, and I'm wondering what it will be like.
i hope it helps me settle in and get reoriented.

i contacted several people who had told me they wanted to see me in my office.  They all seemed really pleased with the idea.  I was flattered, but I was a bit confused.  What is it that I do?

I spent a good part of today remembering, and I think I've got it down.

I had a great summer.  The time passed quickly and mostly without thought.  I was active, outside, moving around.  Friends came, the kids came, we all moved around together.  We ate, We drank, We hung-out.  As I said, the world on the other side of the bridge was free and light and happy (unreal).

This world is crowded, fast and busy.  It always has been.  But now, after a break like this, it seems crazy and frantic.  Every body's moving fast but things go so slowly. Every one's a little pissed-off because they can't get enough done.  They can't get enough done because few people agree on what the priorities are: Get out of my way! Leave me alone! Listen to me!

Build a road, build a bridge, take the kids to day-care. Go to war, don't go to war.  Vote for this clown, vote for that elitist.  Change the world, but pay the mortgage first.  Give the kids supper.

Sit in traffic, sit in the meeting, but be creative, be innovative. Think of the Next New Thing, watch football, but put the kids to bed first.

It's confusing to me because I don't need to do any of that any more.  I can sit and read fairy tales and watch TV re-runs.  It's more difficult to see the sun set around all these building.

But I do help put the kids to bed -- no fussing!! I do have to pay the bills, and tomorrow I will go to my office and see some folks.  I have been wondering how they are doing.  I hope I can ease them in the right direction.

I still don't have any sessions planned with the three lonely, more than a little crazy, women over sit-five, who really don't trust anyone in the world, except maybe me, sometimes. But they all called, wondering if I'm coming back.  Why did I come back?

I also have another project I am starting that will change the entire delivery of mental health services!!
Because now that I'm on this side of the bridge I feel like I have to do something.  Even if it means sitting in traffic and sitting in meetings.

I'll let you know how it goes after tomorrow.

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

As the poet said, "The world is too much with us," but what are you gonna do?