Friday, September 22, 2006

Beginning

What is Your Therapist Thinking?

H
e sits there and stares at you, maybe he takes a few notes. He seems to be listening. He stares at you, looks away. Then he will mumble something that may be of great significance. It could be a life-changing intonation, such as a barely audible "huh," as he nods his head.


He may utter an amazingly perceptive comment like "You're still just pissed-off."

Or it could be a question that slices right through the soft tissues of your mind and reveals the diamond sparkle glow of the truth -- "Why the fuck would you do something like that?"

But what is really going on in the mind that resides behind those thick glasses that give him a kind of bug-eyed look? What is he really thinking about? What does he think about during those few moments in his life when he isn't thinking about you?

Stay tuned, you may find out.


Why Bother?
I
have to ask myself wh I am embarking on this venture. I am a slowly ageing psychologist, who is not all that technologically savvy. I could be spending this time learning hoe to play better golf, or taking up some productive hobby like scrimshaw or backgammon. But instead I am choosing to spew my mind's tomally into cyberspace.

I am a psychologist, a psychotherapist. Yesterday I did a brief caluclation and realized that I have spent almost, not quite but almost, 50,000 hours closed in a room intimately listening and talking to people. The hours are adding up. It's time to draw some conclusions.

But, after all this time I don't know all the answers. I know some answers. Thre are some thing I am pretty certain about, and I usually have pretty strong ideas about how and why people behave, think and feel. But sometimes I am not so sure, or my ideas have changed, my theories don't match the data, my predictions miss the mark.

So I am putting many of my thoughts into cyberspace. I have no idea who, if anyone will rad them. I hope to stimulate the thoughts of others, and hope that others will help clarify my thoughts.

I have seen and heard all kinds of things tht people do to themselves and others, almost all of thm in the hope of someone improving their lives, or making themselves feel better, or at least less worse. Nothing shocks me anymore, although I admit that I can still be surprised, Maybe awed is a better word.

Everything affects my thinking: what people say, how they act, sit, or squirm. I am also affected by money, politics, culture, my own relationships, and new research in psychology, psychiatry, neurology, physiology and evolutionary theory. I am also influenced by architechture, city planning, art, music, music, dance, film, drama and some, though few, novels. My moods are affected by most of the Boston sports teams, but I have learned to keep my expectations under control. I have a 34 - 12 record pitching softball for The Pub Team, but we haven't won the Big Game yet.

I am greatly influenced by my clients. I spend a great deal of time thinking about them and what I can do for them using the limited tools in my arsenal.

If you have any interest in psychology, psychotherapy, philosophy, or just in trying to decipher how or why people think, act, and feel the way they do I hope you take a few seconds to read what I post, and send a comment.

Thanks,

DJB

4 comments:

skinnylittleblonde said...

LOL...do you beleive in the sanely insane? That's me...it runs in my family.
On a more serious note...enjoy the liberation of the cyber world...no eyes blazing across at you or too timid to look up, wanting you to help them in one way or another.
This is a world of coming & going at your own will and convenience, a world of sharing & not sharing as you see fit, not because you should, but because you want to. It's a world where the black and white letters, symbols & words try to paint the color of so many little worlds around us.
Thanks for visiting my little world & I welcome you to this new world.
I'm sure you'll be entertained, if nothing else.

Alyssa said...

hey therapist m.

alyssa b. here. i work with at risk teens out her in MN.

that part of your entry where you mentioned that there are few things you are sure of caught my attention. i know it is an ever-changing landscape, but as someone new to the area, and also sort of a peripheral player as a teacher, i would like to hear more about it. after 5 years of teaching i feel as though i am seeing patterns too, but i am not trained to really understand it all.

thanks.

dean said...

As long as you're enjoying writing the posts, never-minding if a soul reads them, then I think this is a more than worthwhile process for you. And beyond that, it is very interesting to learn things in the words of a stranger that I would otherwise not have known. I, for one, hope you continue to find this a good outlet, for selfish purposes of course.

Unknown said...

I look forward to reading through all of your blog posts and hearing about clients or hearing about what you think. Keep up the great work.

findingonespath.blogspot.com