Monday, January 29, 2007

Answer the question

Thanks, for asking. Thanks for answering. You guys are really cool out there. I enjoy all of the exchanges. Sometimes I wish I didn't see 35 clients a week so we could just sit here and talk.

But, ever since psychotherapy was able to be covered by medical insurance payments, which began in the late 1970s, it has been necessary to give everyone a diagnosis if you wanted the insurance company to pay the bill. That gave a strong impetus to the idea that this mental stuff is medical; so it must be disease.

Then, drug companies began to enter the picture in a big way, and they pushed the idea hard, that if you are anxious, depressed, upset, wild, shy, angry, oppositional, or plain old obnoxious, then they had a pill for it, so it really must be a disease.

We also had more technologies that could show what was going on in the brain when someone became anxious or depressed or any of those things. That made it all seem like it is physiological.

Of course it is, at that level. That's reductionism. Everything we do, feel, think, imagine, feel, shows up in our brains and our bodies because that's who we are.

But, here's a nice extreme example. You walk into the bedroom and your girl is in bed with your buddy. You have a reaction. You are surprised, stunned, angry, hurt, confused, and even unhappy.

Your brain is full of chemicals and electrical charges running up and back. It runs through your entire body, your muscles, your heart, your lungs, the whole deal.

So, what do you treat? Do you seek a tranquilizer to stop all the chemicals? Will that make it better? Is what is happening a disease?

Now, I agree that's an extreme situation. But what if you failed a test, or dropped the ball, or lost your job. And then you lost another one, and couldn't pay the rent, and your car broke,and you kid got sick.


What about more damaging things such as your parents were abusive, or your uncle molested you, or your husband beat you regularly?

Those things cause long-term chemical imbalances in the brain. Is that a disease?

Now, sometimes, taking pills can be a necessary step in getting your brain back into balance. Sometimes it just calms you down. Sometimes a pill stops you in your tracks, you can hardly think and you get fat.

Also, some people really do have bad brains. Those brains, because of injuries, some congenital defect or toxins, don't work right.

But, IMHP, those case are much less frequent than we are being led to believe. And we are being led to believe that by people who are making money from products and services based on those beliefs. We believe it more because it seems like "science," and it seems to offer an easy solution.

Changing your life is very difficult (I've been doing the same thing, with slight improvements, for thirty years). But it's your life and your responsibility.

But, it isn't of course, because everything you do is determined by how your physical being has already interacted with all you have experienced.

But, you can alter that by adding the experience of new thoughts, by bringing new thoughts right into your own head.

But, how can you do that unless you have learned about it? That had to come from somewhere.

I guess just from reading this bog.

6 comments:

TGS said...

Thanks, Therapist! We all would like to spend our days talking with you, too. :)

Anonymous said...

FIRST, I want you to know that I'm glad that you have such 'varied' clientele. SECOND, I hope you can continue to keep 'em coming in, so that THIRD, you can retire really soon, so we can spend more time with you!!!

I'm beginning to get the idea that the key to dealing with whatever life throws at you in a more effective and constructive way, is to amass as much knowledge as possible, since, as it appears from here - and judging by how well you deal with your own life challenges - the better prepared you are, the better you are at handling the daily angst, drama & pathos coming at you from all directions, from all of your paying customers, and your blog buddies!!!

Personally, I've had just about every one of the events you listed happen to me, except death of an immediate loved one, unless you count the passing of my uncle and grandpa, who I really loved until they, well, you know what I mean...anyway, I haven't as of yet, resorted to treating any of my physiological reactions to these events with meds, mostly because I don't have any tolerance for the notion that taking pills will fix my outlook on life.

I also recognize that I'm very fortunate because my brain isn't damaged by trauma, defficient dna or self-induced frying, however, I do believe that there's some truth in the saying 'you should never say never', since life has a way of LIAO @ US!!!

BTW: have you ever noticed that when you leave a comment the heading says: 'the_rapist mumbles said:'? I just noticed it and it cracked me up!!!

Hey, thanks for being there! Off to chop wood and carry water I go!

Amanda said...

Thank you for blogging. I have found the posts helpful and enjoyable.

Mental illness certainly exists. But like you've said, it's not as common as some companies would like us to think.

While it's great that there is medicine available for it, it also tempts us to bypass common sense and behavioral/situational changes.

Because often, that's all it takes.

skinnylittleblonde said...

I hate to come into someone's blog and cuss, but today I will:

DAMN GOOD POST!

I couldn't agree with you more.

singleton said...

As always, therapeutic...
And kind of makes me feel better that I've plowed through everything with just a bayer aspirin and a cold beer!
Thanks for the ever interesting, insightful mumblings. Love it!

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Great blow. I'll be back. :)