Friday, October 05, 2007

priorities

Yes it gets kind of absurd sometimes.

I spend a day in which I see a person whose husband just died of ALS. The next hour I see a kid whose father died of cancer AND his mother was murdered. I saw a kid who got thrown out of school because the Spanish kids were fighting with the white kids. The next guy is having his house foreclosed.

There are worse. It would take hours to write it all in a way that would make sense. People's lives get so complex and some are so sad, and this isn't even Baghdad.

But I leave the office whistling and all I really want to know is if the Sox are going to win. It's the playoffs. That's something to care about.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

For some it's the Sox, for others it's the opening season of Fake TV, for yet another it's high finance.

Whatever gets that mind off things and helps recharge them batteries.

It's all a frickin joke anyway.

Jamie said...

I suppose you would have to become immune to it all..otherwise wouldn't you spend your life crying all the time? I believe I would....

Anonymous said...

I found this gem in one of my interweb travels and when I read your entry, it immediately made me think of it, for there are some of us in pursuit of the inane, while there are so many others who are really and truly struggling: "Have you fought for love or wept for another? Have you wrestled God or chased your heart? Have you revolted against the absurd? Have you lived today?"

Ms. Meander said...

compartmentalization! my best friend is a master of the art, she has to be, as a state-sponsored family intervention type of therapist. i stink at it. that's why i'm no longer in the medical field. it can sometimes seem like callousness on the surface, but thank goodness there are folks who can do it. otherwise, who could bear to be there for us in the darkest, ugliest times of our lives?