Sunday, February 17, 2008

lawyers came and went

So the lawyers came. I told them not to, but they did.

Two of them drove three hours to my office to talk about a a client who had been in a car accident that no one saw.

They asked me if I believed her version of what happened. I said I accepted what she said. They asked me if I made any attempt to verify anything she said. I said, why should I?

They said doesn't the truth matter?

I said, she is my client, to me it is her truth that matters. When she came to see me I told her I wasn't about going to court. If she wanted to learn to deal with the pain she said she felt, and the depression, and work on getting back to her job and her life, then fine. I would be her therapist.

I told the lawyer I had been her therapist, and now, two years later,four years after the accident, she is back at work and I had not seen her for six months. I felt I did my job.

They asked me if the accident was more of a factor in her depression than the terrible divorce she went through two years before the accident.

I told them that she felt she got hurt in the accident and the pain kept her from working. She fell into debt and got depressed and overwhelmed. But, if she hadn't been divorced she wouldn't have been driving there to meet her new boyfriend. But if she never married that abusive first husband she wouldn't have gotten divorced. But if her parents had not been fighting so much she may have taken more time to consider whom to marry in the first place.

That's what I think, I said.

The lawyers left. But they paid me first. I don't think they will come back soon.


Anyway, I'm off for a week to find someplace a bit warmer.

4 comments:

Warped Mind said...

So many "ifs" in our lives, it is a wonder any of us are functioning.

Amanda said...

It's the second best time of the year for a vacation, the first being Christmas/New Years.

Jamie said...

Interesting post. Funny how all things can be traced back, isn't it?

Have a really great time, in --where ever the hell you are.

I'm jealous. :)

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog...geee...therapy...maybe I need some!!
Hope you are having a good vacation..I love "some place warm"!!!
Pam 'Oh Da Woods
http://dawoods12.blogspot.com