Wednesday, July 09, 2008

$600 an hour?

A friend sent me information about an article in the NY Times bout some NY therapists who get $600 an hour. The article talks about how some of those therapists get sucked into pander a bit to these clients. I guess if someone is going to pay you $600 an hour it must be tough to say things that might drive them away.

As hourly workers go, $600 is right up there. I know there are lots of lawyers who charge more, but most of those charges are paid by big corporate entities. The people who get really rich these days are the ones who can leverage their money, either through many shares of stock, or selling thousands of copies of one thing, form diet books, to hula-hoops.

I truly doubt that these therapists who are getting about 6 times what I get are not saying anything more pithy or life-changing than what I say. As most of you realize by now, I am one of the most skilled and effective psychotherapist on the planet. I just have chose to market my services in some average mill city in New England. I guess that's my fault.

I still have not caved in to the American ideal that those who have more money are worth more as people. I ma not impressed, much to my wife's discontent.

Not that I am against money. If someone wants to send me a check for all of these words of wisdom I'd probably cash it. But, as you can see, I give it away for free -- which either makes me dumb or foolish,

or else makes these words priceless.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Crazy world, huh?

Ineffective therapy costs huge bucks while common sense is basically given away.

That's because rich people won't pay for common sense and poor people can't.

Fortunately for us, people like yourself understand that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
I totally agree. Common sense sadly is not that common and rich people see therapy as some kind of accessory, they think the higher the cost the more effective the therapist, I don’t think it matters about challenge or changes but probably, collusion.
Regards
Dawn Pugh
Http://www.dawnpugh.com

Jamie said...

Great post, t.

I hope you have had a very relaxing time on your vacation.

:)

Surgeon In My Dreams said...

It makes YOU real at what you do, and it makes your words priceless.

Anyone can make money given they want it badly enough, not just everyone can touch a human heart.