Thursday, January 15, 2009

incidents

So you think that this job is all about sitting here, nodding and saying "how do you feel about that?" Sure it is. That's why we get paid the $4.50 an hour by UBH, but only if we get our forms in on time, with all the correct boxes checked.

But here are a few other things I had to squeeze in today.

I have a literally poor client, on SSI, Medicare/Medicaid,who received a letter saying that since she turned 65, and since she got a cost of living raise on her SSI check from $996 to $1026, she is no longer eligible for Medicaid as her supplemental insurance. To keep her policy she will have to spend $465 a MONTH for a deductible. So, she came in crying and we ended up calling the State Senator. We have to wait to see what he can do.

Another client who suffers panic attacks was pulled over by the police for something minor. She had a panic attack and couldn't talk or make sense. The cop thought she was on drugs and wanted to put her in his cruiser and arrest her. That really freaked her out. I had to talk to the cops and a lawyer for her. That one got resolved.

I have a guy who lost his job working for the state because of what was going on at work. They have stopped paying him and he is waiting for a hearing. He has been waiting for two years and is about to lose his house. The State knows he has a good case that is probably relevant to several other people so they don't want to settle it, or something. He is becoming desperate, depressed and kind of crazy. I had to try to make sense out of what his lawyer was, or wasn't telling him. No real progress has been made on that.

I have been working with another woman with panic attacks for months. Part of her problem, which is common, is that she is afraid to take a pill, as the pill might do something to her mind that she didn't expect and that would make her panic. But now she is ready to take the pill. I had spoken to her PCP three months ago to explain to him why the medication would be helpful. He was very agreeable. Today she went to him to get the prescription. He had nothing in his notes. I had to call him. He was at lunch, he was at the hospital, he was cutting his finger nails. Finally, I think that one got resolved.

I still have an hour left to sit and say "how do you feel about that." I am afraid to pick up any more messages.

5 comments:

KathyA said...

Sounds like your line of work has a substantial portion of ministry to it. How wonderful to positively affect the lives in your care and to actually see those results.

Amanda said...

I've often felt that a good therapist is practically an unordained priest. And in some cases a saint.

KathyA said...

Thirty-three/41 is still something of which to be proud! It occurs to me that I've never dated anyone this long. :) Give the sweet pooch a pat for me.

KathyA said...

Thirty-three/41 is still something of which to be proud! It occurs to me that I've never dated anyone this long. :) Give the sweet pooch a pat for me.

Raine said...

Good luck with the call to the Senator. They have done that to all of us everywhere.........