Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bonk!

Been a while for me. Most of that is because two weeks ago, at first game of my long anticipated return to he mound for the Pub Team softball. Bonk. It came from out of left field -- except I was talking to the first baseman at the time.

The ball hit me on the side of the head. That really wouldn't have been a significant blow if I hadn't had cornea transplants 40 years ago. The old stitches ripped apart, the eye bagan to fall apart, and now, two weeks and one two day stay at the best eye hospital in the world later, I am on the mend.

I have good vision in one eye and will most likely get as good vision back in the other eye - in eight or nine months.

Until then. Don't stand on my right side as I will either ignore you or walk right into you.

The lesson from all of this is that if you live long enough, and push your luck long enough eventually, usually, you get caught.

The solution of course is to be Dick Cheney, and expect that everyone is coming after you and everything is a danger. Then you can sit in a bunker with a shot-gun on your lap, drinking pomegranate juice and remaining hyper-vigilant that no one, or no thing can even begin to threaten you.

Of course, this may sometimes lead to shooting your friend in the head, but who can you really trust anyway. My real friends know not to make any sudden moves. A sudden move means you're a terrorist.

3 comments:

Lena said...

Goodness! Glad to hear that your eye is on the mend.

Hope to hear from you more often now.

Amanda said...

Gulp!

That is true, one can never know where the ball's gonna come from, but for this to happen literally?!

I'm glad you're ok.

KathyA said...

That's awful and amazing that a blow to the head could cause such damage! I'm glad you're mending however and your sight will restored.
And Cheney?....funny we all thought Nixon was a paranoid schizo.