Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A month away

I guess I have not written anything her for a while. It doesn't seem like blogging is the thing any more. Most people are on Facebook and Youtube. Blogging requires too much reading, takes too long; taxes the brain having to decipher all those squiggly little symbols. Then, once your have figure out the words, you have to look for ideas and concepts. It's easier to just watch some guy slide down the mud into the water. The concept is clear.

But there I go, getting cynical again.

Maybe its because I came back from vacation and have gotten at least ten calls from new people wanting to come and tell me how their lives are falling apart. That is not what bothers me, what bothers me is that our state doesn't want to pay for it. They don't want to pay the co-payments for the people who have state insurance, and they want to put people on a new insurance plan that will cut my reimbursement rate by 25 to 40%. It all makes me feel wanted, but not valued.

So, if there is a "public option" it is pretty clear we will get screwed. Then again, if there isn't a public option, we are getting screwed already. Most insurance companies have not given us an increase in 15 to 20 years.

Otherwise I have been busy. Since it is clear that I will get old, but not rich, listening to the amazing and creative things that people will do to each other, I have begun to spend some of my limited free time seeking new ways to amuse myself. So far this has proved to be the metaphorical equivalent of building a 2% scale model of the Sydney Harbour Bridge using only plastic straws from Double Ds. My early attempts have fallen down a few times, but recently it seems that I may have a shot at getting it to stand.

It is a long process, but I will let you know.

I hope you've all been well and enjoyed the summer.

I get parts of my eye replaced in three weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is really great to see you post.

You were the first exposure that I had to blogs...have loved them since.
Other social media sites are great...for some.
Blogs just have something extra special to them.

Enjoy your building.

Anonymous said...

Hi TTM-

Appreciate the effort to blog. I view it as a current infusion of Mark Twain, with a little extra edge. I agree with anonymous that blogging is better.

Good luck with building and with your eye.

KathyA said...

I was a teacher in the public schools for a long time. Getting screwed is a way of life for us.

Good luck on your eye surgery. I'm having my left hand's carpal sheath released tomorrow. Had the right one three weeks ago.

To me FB and Twitter seem even more ephemeral than blogging.

Amanda said...

It's true, the majority loves that stuff... Then there's people like me, who have big trouble befriending stuff like cell-phones, Facebooks/twitters/chats... don't know why. And I lost interest in TV about 12 years ago. Makes one feel quite old and out of it, frankly.

(But there's sites that list thousand upon thousands of books for free reading... Those always manage to suck me in time and again.)

Public insurance... don't get me started. USA truly does not know what it's getting into this time. They should ask some European countries how that is working out for them.

Best of luck with the operation.