Thursday, October 22, 2009

In my pocket

There is a patient of mine who I still see once or twice a year who often would say to me, "Can't you just put me into your pocket and take me home?" He assured me that he wouldn't be any trouble, and that he just needed a safe place to be. He wanted some protection from the life he was leading, which was really, as bad as you can imagine.

Sometimes, as a therapist, I feel like doing that. At least I do while I am sitting and talking to some of my patients. Actually, when I get out of here I am very skilled at not thinking about anyone. But I do see some really interesting and fascinating people who are insightful and articulate, but who never got a break, and who have just retreated from blows of the world.

This guy today, Frankie. He began life as a minority immigrant. His parents sent him to his uncle, who was in this country. His uncle sent him to the grandparents, who already had custody of a few of his cousins. All kinds of chaos and craziness when on in that house, which left permanent psychic scars on Frankie.

But Frankie persisted. He went out in the world full of hesitation and doubts, but he got jobs and he started relationships. Not surprisingly, they ended, sometimes softly, sometimes in disaster.

Today he told me that he just lost the job he had for the last three years. Frankie has been in human services for the last ten years. He does very well taking care of the people no one will take care of. He is caring, empathetic and he treats everyone with dignity. Because of that he got into disagreements with the people who ran the program because he took too much time, he bent some regulations, he responded to the people he was taking care of more than to the rule book. When this was pointed out to him he wold explain how what he was doing took more effort, but it really was within the rules.

So, they fired him.

Now Frankie is not naive, and he is not really trying to be a martyr, but he has standards and sensitivity, and he won't go against that. But because of this, and because of his life experience, he is depressed, and he withdraws when he gets slapped down like this. It will take a while to help him re-group, stand-up, and get out in the world again. (Of course, he will only have insurance coverage for another two weeks, but we will have to deal with that too).

It is difficult to do the "empirically supported" cognitive/behavioral therapy when the patient's belief that the world is mean, unfair, and generally sucks has been well documented by his life's experience. Sometimes you know it would be much more beneficial to take him home, wrap him in a blanket and give him some chicken soup. Which is something he never had anyone do for him, ever.

2 comments:

Lena said...

This brought tears to my eyes.

I know a lot of Frankies. They could change the world, but they just keep getting slapped down. Some are lucky and may rise to the top, but it doesn't seem that way, does it?

So great he has a good therapist like you who actually cares about him.

kristi said...

I just found your blog. I have a nephew in prison, who sounds a lot like your Frankie.
My sister had him at 15 and that crazy bitch really put him through hell.
He told me the other day, "I never had anybody to teach me to bathe, do my homework, or just be a child."

So very sad.