Sunday, October 17, 2010

Perhaps, not so extreme

Before I write about why It is good to find a therapist who has some of my views, I would like to make slightly clearer what my views are.  That is why I write this blog anyway, to figure that out for myself.

So, we were driving back, over the weekend, on the coastal route.  We stopped along the way to see a friend, who happens, of all things to be a religious leader.  She is a good friend, and we know and accept each other.  She is even a Yankee fan, and I still call her a close friend.

We arrived at the time she was about to do some religious leading, so we attended.  She was doing an admirable job of leading, and I was not following very closely, but I was turning the pages in the book of prayers.  In the book I came upon a quote, but I can't find the quote anywhere though Google, so I will have to paraphrase it -- but maybe it was just put there for ME to see, or maybe they paraphrased it themselves.

Anyway, it was from Martin Buber, and it said something like:

"If people come to you and ask for help with their troubles, do not say something pious, and tell them to pray, and that God will provide.  Act as if there is no God, and that it is up to you to do all that is in your power to help them solve their problems."

That is the kind of religion I can be comfortable with.

Also, I said that I have a great deal of difficulty with Patriotism, especially when it leads to war.  Well, that is certainly true, but that does not mean that I am necessarily a pacifist.  I strongly believe that every country and every society has more than it's share of assholes.  And that there are people in other countries who do want to blow us up and take our money and rape our women.  We are a rich and aggressive country; so we need to defend ourselves.  Too often we are jerks about it, and do it badly, in the wrong places and for the wrong reasons. But we do need to watch out.


What do I think is important?

Basically, life.  I think that being alive is amazing, and can be full of fantastic, fun and satisfying experiences, sometimes, when it isn't tedious and boring, or it isn't full of pain and suffering.

Life, especially human life, is very precious, and should be treated that way.  No one life is more important than any other.  You have the responsibility of living your life as best as you can, in a way that you have determined.

We are all united by our insignificance --except to ourselves and those we love.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

We are all united by our insignificance --except to ourselves and those we love.

Yes. And there is actually some comfort in that. Thanks for the awesome posts.