Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Moments of summer

Sitting, with friends, on deck, overlooking the harbor.   The sky a high blue with while clouds moving across, reflected in the water. Boats bobbing up and down slowly, a few under sail moving closer or slowly diminishing toward the horizon. A first drink finished, a second one going slowly, with the knowledge that too much more would tip the balance, and that the feeling of love, companionship, tranquility, insight, and faith in the future of the world will fade soon, no matter what I do.

The beauty and appreciation of the moment is mixed with melancholy, knowing that I am older, a bit damaged, and that many, but not all, of my most creative, dynamic days are behind me. The tide comes in very dramatically at this spot.  Many of the boats are older than I am; and they get to have several different owners and caretakers, but they don't care.  A great many fish have been taken from the sea.

My friends and I have been at this beautiful spot before.  Hopefully, we will all do this again, and laugh at the same silliness that is the world, knowing that we are a part of it.

2 comments:

Forsythia said...

An idyllic scene. Sounds a little like the ride is going out on summer.

Forsythia said...

That's supposed to be "tide," not "ride."