Monday, November 28, 2011

Sucked inot the Internet 2

Hey, I was home today.  It was a gift of a warm day and we went for a nice walk around the lake two towns away.  I also got new tires for when it gets cold and snows.  The rest of the time I spent "working" from home. 

So many of my patients, especially the men, but not only men, many of whom are unemployed, underemployed or have never worked a full month in their lives spent time like this, sucked into the Internet.  The day can pass quickly, seamlessly. I learn about things I never thought about.  I looked at things that I always think about.  I read book reviews, movie reviews, stock reviews, politcal garbage and sports reports.  I read your blogs and now I'm writing on my blog.

We are all part of a world that was unknown ten years ago and is overwhelming now. The input is constant and addicting.  If you stay away fro three hours then you begin to feel the world has changed and you're missing it.

I can't tell if the world is changing or if it is all a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. (catchy phrase that one).

But it certainly takes up time, and a lot of emotional space.

Tomorrow I will return to my office and sit with people, facing em, listening to them, watching them cry and laugh and breathe, and for almost an hour they will have my entire attention I will have theirs.  That's something special in the world we have today.

No wonder there is such a demand.

No wonder insurance companies don't want to pay for it. So low-tch, so unmeasurable, so unaccountable, unreliable, unstructured and open-ended. 

Yet, for so many conditions, it is the best treatment.

That's why I write about it on the Internet.

3 comments:

Lena said...

And I am glad you do write about it because I find your work fascinating.

I wanted to become a therapist and I am sorry I did not follow through.

I attended a workshop years ago by Virgina Satir and watched her work with a family on stage. It was magical watching her work with them and help them to communicate more effectively.

Amanda said...

Internet is like TV was but on steroids.

I'm happy with the things I get done during the day until I realize that 100 years ago people did twice as much easily and still had time to spare.

KathyA said...

Ah -- quite a paradox, isn't it?

I fear you are right -- and although the blosphere affords me contact with others -- it is still a solitary activity. Great for those days when I'm housebound by snow or recuperation (alas this has been a habit of late), but does not take the place of being out and about and actually talking with others.