Sunday, October 14, 2012

Heading out again

We are leaving for the airport in an hour to head out to the Amalfi coast.  I am leaving my patients, the crazy politics of this country, not that Italy is any better, and the state of my profession.

I gave a talk at our state Psychological Association conference yesterday.  I tried to show them ways to use new technology to enhance psychotherapy.  I was given a very good reception, but more for  the delivery than the message. At least I kept them entertained.

The professional lives of Ph.D. Psychologists is under a lot of pressure that the general public doesn't see, and really doesn't care about.  The changes health care system, which is complete flux, partly from politics, and partly because it is such a mess, does not pay much attention to Psychologists. We are more expensive than social workers or "counselors" and we are not MDs like psychiatrists, who also are getting marginalized.

I am older, and if they stop paying me I will stop working and find another way to keep busy and perhaps make a few dollars.  Maybe I will take the advice of the person who last commented about this blog, and jazz it up and market it and be another voice in the wild bloggosphere.

But for right now I am of to Italy, to set and watch the sea, eat grat food, and wonder where I will fit in to the world.  I will miss the grand-girls.

Bye-bye form Pop-Pops.

2 comments:

Forsythia said...

Bon Voyage.

Raine said...

I hope you have a wonderful vacation!