Monday, January 06, 2014

2014 and Me

Again, Happy New Year to all of you in the bloggosphere who happen to stop by.  The weather has been really lousy here in New England, but it is January and I am older than I was, so what should I expect?

I mention getting older because that is what this year will be about. This year, more than just trying to help other people to make some kinds of changes in their lives, I will be attempting to make a major change in mine.  From now until the next solstice, the one in June with the most sunshine of the year, I will be reducing the number of patients I see each week.  My goal, which is being monitored by my wife and family, is to have sent almost everyone on their way by the time the sun goes down on that day.  I will then take the entire summer off, and if I return to work as a therapist at all, it will be on a very limited basis with a very different model of treatment.

Sounds like a plan, but like all plans, especially those made at the beginning of a calendar year, the execution and follow-through are really what counts.

I have little doubt that this will come to pass.  most of my friends know already and I have begun to let my patients know. It is part of the rotten state of health care in the US at present that making good referrals for some of the people I see will be very difficult.  The changes in insurance, and who takes what, the the lack of good mental health providers, and the huge changes in how services are delivered........but that is all part of why I am letting this model go.

The real difficulty I am already beginning to experience is with me.  What will I do? What will it feel like? Will I get anything done?  and what do I mean by getting anything done? Changing my life will certainly be the biggest challenge of this year, not dealing with anyone else.

I have many vague ideas about how to relax, reduce stress, be a grand-pops, play, read and think.  But the lack of structure is very intimidating after more than 40 years of going to work five days a week.

It is easy to find ways to enjoy life.  It seems that it will be more difficult to find ways to get satisfaction from doing that. Why this is true for me is not yet clear.  Some it is that there still seems to be so much thatneeds to be done.  Some of it is just vanity.  I need to feel important.

I will probably have more time to see what Life in Merlin is like.

2 comments:

Forsythia said...

Good luck with the implementation of your plan. Sounds like a good one to me. Please let us know how things are going with the plan between now and the next solstice.

Anonymous said...

Do you have any tips, then, or a link you like, for finding a good therapist, when one is forced to use health insurance to help pay for therapy?