Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Better this way

I have been mentioning some of the ambivalence I feel about giving up my practice; how I kind of feel as if I'm getting away with something.

It has only been about two or three weeks, but I can tell you one thing clearly:  not working is much easier and healthier than working ( if you have enough money).

During the last few years of working I could feel my body getting old.  The arthritis in my neck seemed to bother me more often and I found myself taking Ibuprofen once, twice or even three times a week.  I also had several minor problems with my back, knees and shoulders.

I think I can state pretty clearly now that a lot of it was from sitting so long, either in my "therapy chair" or at the computer.  Even in a very comfortable, supportive, good-posture chair,  I was sitting too long, holding my head in mostly the same position, and not moving much of my body.

In the past three weeks I have climbed a mountain, done a lot of chasing of three children under four, sometimes in and out of the water, rode my bike to and from town many times, walked the length of a long beach several times,moved tools around, moved garden stuff, gone up and down two-hundred flights of stairs just moving things and going places. and in general been much more active than any time in the last ten years.  All of this was done naturally, and in the flow of the day, not at a gym or doing some specific exercise routine, except for about ten minutes of stretching most days.

And I feel great.  I haven't even thought about taking any pain pills or needing some other remedies.
There is very little tension, more freedom, and less stiffness and hardly any pain.  I can't really run far or fast.  I'm not about to play basketball again, which I miss, and don't expect to challenge myself to perform amazing physical feats that would break me in half.

But, I think working, at least working full-time or more, in order to pay bills and help keep a family going,  is pretty hazardous to every one's health, especially after fifty-three. And I certainly was not in a physically demanding profession, which I guess, was part of the problem.

While not working, hard, ever, is not good for your mind, well-being or your place in the universe.

It helps a lot of enjoy whatever it is you're doing.  But even then, you can't be a goalie for very long.

No comments: