Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A day in the office

This week I was back in my office for a day.  It isn't really my office any more, I rent it from another psychologist who is now in it three or four days a week.  He is young, energetic and idealistic, just like I was at his age.  He is only 63.

The people I am still seeing are people I really want to see.  I feel I can finish up with them in six to nine months and get them through whatever it is they are going through.  For one it is college, for another through a bad divorce, for another away from his mother and on his own.  Stuff like that.

But yet, after being away for a while, it seams to difficult, just for them to get from here to there.  They are so tied down and burdened by their past, their family, their non-supportive relationship, their lack of financial resources, and even their health.

It's like dragging someone who is underwater back up to the surface, but they are weighted down with about nine chains tied to iron balls.  Each chain has to be worked on and broken.  And we are working underwater, where we can hardly breathe.

But still, these are all great people.  Like all of us, they are slightly crazy, but no more than most. And sometimes they can be very funny.

So we keep chipping away.

But it is really a relief to not have to go back and do it for another seven to nine hours again the next day.  I won't mention that to the young man who is in my old office.

1 comment:

Forsythia said...

I'm glad you're still practicing, because I think you get a lot of things right.