Thursday, June 09, 2016

Transition, But First, Going Away


I am pretty sure that I am finished being a hands-on, face to face psychotherapist.  I cleaned out my desk.  The office is being rented to someone else.  I have kissed all of my patients good-bye. 
It was difficult, kind of earth-shattering in a very personal way, but now it’s done.

I did this gradually, over a two year period, so I think it went as well as possible.  It also gave me time to transition to the next phase.  I have worked with so many people who needed to navigate through difficult transitions,  They had many different reasons: job loss, death of loved ones, illness, accidents, divorce, recovery, new job, new move, new partner. I tried to help them develop new skills. Now it’s my turn.
What I seem to be doing, just by having the time now to do so, is to step back and look around. I had been focused on so many individuals who each had to deal with unique situations. Now I want to look up at the sky.  I want to try to put everything in some kind of perspective, to see how everything ties together. The world is changing very rapidly.  It is creating a great deal of excitement and hope, but also disruption and fear.  You can se e that in the politics that are in such turmoil.
I also see so many educated, dedicated, creative, caring people who are doing exciting, transformative, world changing things in so many areas, such as genetics, brains science, communications, space exploration, immunology, business management, sustainable energy, product development, medicine, food science ….. on and on in almost every field, even psychology.
I guess what I’d like to do is help everyone take a moment to step back and see how all of these changes interact with each other, and what kind of a new world we are creating. How do electric cars relate to genetic editing, to transgender marriages, to sustainable energy, to drone warfare, to on-line education, to a mars landing, to guided meditation?
Is all of this taking us where we want to go or is it just keeping everyone busy and making some people very rich?
I have become very aware that everyone’s lives will be very different in just twenty five years.  I have also become very aware that, if I’m here, I will be 96 in twenty five years.(WTF?)

Therefore, before I ask the two hundred basic questions I have been thinking about, and try to generate a discussion about how we should all participate in designing our future, I will be going away.  Far away, to the other side of the world.  Got to do this while we can, ya know.

When I return we will begin the next phase, unless I decide that it’s enough to just play Shoots and Ladders, Pony, trains and ball.

See you in month or so.

Enjoy the summer.

2 comments:

Forsythia said...

Have a great trip. I am sure you and your spouse will come home with much to ponder. It's an exciting time to be alive. One of the things I plan to do this year is spend 20 minutes a day focusing on what I call "Last Things." Some of it has to do with tidying up bits and pieces of our so-called "estate." We're taking advantage of a program in our state that allows grandparents to put money away for their grandchildren's educations. Other than enrolling in the program, we've been procrastinating. Hence, the pledge to myself to spend 20 minutes a day on this project. Made that resolution a month ago. Time spent to date: zilch. THe first thing we have to do is find the key to our safe deposit box. HImself thinks I have it. I know he has it. Well, anyway, have a wonderful time.

Jim said...

Congrats on the new phase in your life. Took you awhile to really retire but that's all right. I absolutely love retired life and am 10x as busy as when I wasn't retired. But it's fun busy (mostly). Doing things I couldn't do then is the key. Beekeeping (10+ hives), Driving to AK with the wife in a fifth wheel, building up a small solar powered organic farm, growing stuff, welding, creating and selling metal sculptures, yada, yada, yada (from Seinfeld). Good stuff. And I feel very fortunately to be able to do this. However there are many people who don't know what to do with themselves after they retire so they just grow old. From reading your blog since you posted on the listserve, I have a feeling you'll be in for some cool adventures. Be the explorer !

If you're ever on the west cost of Florida stop by and I'll put the beekeeper suit on you and put you to work.