Tuesday, May 08, 2007

clever comback?

So we were sitting there, the three of us, in the middle of the session. It was a second marriage for each of them. The marriage was in its third year. They both wanted to avoid the mistakes of the last time.

She had been pushed around a bit by her first husband so she was making sure that it wouldn't happen again. He said something kind of negative about her daughter, she quickly shot back a remark to let him know he was out of place.

He looked a bit hurt, and confused that she would come at him with such force. He stammered, and gave a whiny reply.

She looked at me and said: "You'd think he had a vagina between his legs, wouldn't you?"

An interesting comeback, especially from a woman who has been abused.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a severe case of reverse bullying but I bet they stay together because he already knows just how expensive it is to get out...

Amanda said...

It's rather normal, actually.

A dog often becomes snarky when being abused by someone else first.

Jamie said...

Actually, that comment she made sounds like one that i would make. I suppose anonymous could be right, however I wouldn't be bullying if I had said it....sometimes the whining comes from the supposed stronger sex, while us women are hung with the stereotypes and labels.

Ms. Meander said...

reverse bullying, yes. an oft-used tool of overreach utilized by those who are trying to learn new ways of interacting with the world. i think i went through a period of that myself, at one point. learning how to not let men step on me via fear of abandonment, i went too far at times and verbally kicked their asses. it took me a while to figure out where my happy medium was. especially since, if you stand up for yourself at all, others tend to react to you like you're being an evil bitch. that makes it hard to figure out what actually constitutes the different between "firm" and "aggressive" sometimes.

CCC said...

Am a bully to Roscoe. But only due to the prior abuse. From other relationships. It's sickening. Glad I'm not the only one though. I really do enjoy your posts.

skinnylittleblonde said...

If she came from an abusive situation, I imagine dealing with an adult male who whines is difficult. I've never considered myself abused but have zero tolerance for adults who whine. I don't know that it was a clever comment though.

Anonymous said...

I've been known to be 'very inflammatory' so I could've said the same thing, perhaps using different words, and the intent and purpose of my remark would leave a lasting impression, but not just on the recipient.

I already know that I've no tolerance for abuse taken or given, but since I've got even less tolerance for whining, I actively avoid the whiners, because more often than not, the poison I put out comes right back at me, only in a much greater dose.