Thursday, May 31, 2007

No Shows

Two people didn't show up today. No call, no word, just didn't come.

One really bothered me; the other, I'm not so surprised.

The one that bothered me I had only seen once. He was a young man who wasn't born in this country. Very few people of his ethnic background come to therapy, but he was pretty desperate. He had come to this country when he was very young. He got lost in the shuffle, joined a gang, did a few rough things and his life wasn't going anywhere.

Then he met a woman, actually his cousin's wife, and they fell in love. He changed his life for her. Eventually they got married and had a kid. He got a job, worked hard, got promoted, loved being a father.

But, she left him and he was devastated. He drank himself stupid for a few months and almost lost his job. They encouraged him to see me.

He came in and was very articulate, and very aware of his feelings and how he has been lost, hurt and confused. He seemed to be a good candidate to work through that loss, plus a lot of the other stuff he had reacted to -- but then he didn't come back.

There could be a reason. I will try to find out tomorrow. It is very frustrating. Those things bother me. I take it personally.


The other guy who didn't come had come four times before. He was having panic attacks and I helped him get some benzos to calm himself down. By the fourth visit the doctor felt he should begin to cut them down and depend more on the SSRIs. This time agreed with the doctor.

I am not that surprised he didn't come. I am disappointed because he was really beginning to learn how therapy could help him. I think he was looking for those pills because his wife wanted them. The doctor had alerted me that she was known for her drug-seeking behavior. She may be dragging him to another doctor. Maybe I will find out about that too. Maybe not.

That doesn't bother me as much.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I hope you find out that BOTH of them missed their appointments due to something out of their control---It's great that you care the way you do,

Amanda said...

That's sad about both of them. A guy who's willing to go along with such a scheme must need serious help too.

skinnylittleblonde said...

As a woman, I will freely admit that I worry and that I like to 'help' folks...therefore your line of busines would never do me any good. I'd probably end up on SSRI's for all the worrying & such about the patients.
Bless You Dear Heart!