Monday, June 04, 2007

off kilter

Feeling strangely out of sorts. Trouble focusing. Trouble sitting still. A haze seemed to settle over my brain, then it settled into my stomach.

Why/ Too much weekend?

No, I am ashamed to say. I had eight clients today but two were of the kind who, although they have depression or anxiety, also are struggling intellectually, and always have.

It's sad, but it's boring.

Everyone deserves a chance. Every human is just as human as another. But it helps to be able to carry on a conversation if you want to be in therapy.

He has panic attacks. He really does. He gets nervous because he is afraid of failure. He should be; he fails often.

He also smells.

It was difficult to keep my eyes open. When he left I staggered down the hall and stuck my head into the sink.

I feel the state got their money's worth when they paid for that hour.

4 comments:

Ms. Meander said...

Which is harder, dealing with the ones who aren't so bright, or dealing with the ones so intelligent that it can be hard to point out any insights they haven't already explored? I always wondered about that. I often got the feeling, when I tried therapy, that my therapist was being led into my own mental tangents along with me. Which is fun conversation. But not helpful when I'm stuck.

Amanda said...

It's a soulsucking experience at the best of times.

skinnylittleblonde said...

Oh you are so fair....IMHO, every human is not just as human as the next. I believe that a few are truly beasts & a few more are saintly.

Bongo said...

What happens if a therapist isn't thrilled with a client? What happens to the client?
A therapist is human, Isn't perfect even with the best intentions. What happens to the client? Is he/she helped?
Does the therapist continue to see the client? Is the client referred out? What is the therapist thinking at this point? What happens? Enquiring minds would like to know?