Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Here they come again

Here is the real problem. They call themselves "Health Care Companies" or health Management Companies" or some other misleading euphemism. But the truth is they are financial companies. So, when they come after me and tell me to fill out their Patient Outcome Management Forms, of their Patient Wellness Assessment Forms, or TOP Patient survey, I get upset.

They tell me that they are trying to help me make clearer diagnoses. Or they tell me they are trying to help their subscribers find the best clinical matches. It's all a lot of shit.

All they are trying to do is trying to find ways to justify their existence AND to pay us less.

Two of the major conditions necessary for successful psychotherapy are trust and understanding. I don't trust these companies, and I don't think they really have any understanding of what we do. I don't want their "suggestions" of how I should do treatment. If they know hoe to do it they should be out here doing it. Their suggestions don't come from any research that I respect. The symptoms they want me to treat are not symptoms that I really care about -- they are symptoms, not the problem.
They will go away when the issues are addressed.

But now it is fashionable for each company to begin to make their therapists accountable and monitor their effectiveness. Except they really don't know how to do that.

It's all about the money. They've collected it from the subscribers and they don't really want to give it away to us, the care-givers. An adversarial system of health care is never a good one.

3 comments:

Warped Mind said...

There are very few things I hate but I hate insurance companies, all of them.

Raine said...

wow I think I had a comment but it blew away with the thought that you might speak chinese LOL

Amanda said...

Distasteful. They should stick to what they know best, sucking blood out of stones.