Saturday, April 19, 2008

my old brain.

So, it is finally Spring here and everyone seems to be outside doing all kinds of rejuvenating stuff. How can you live in California without Spring?

I'm taking a walk around town, just checking everything out and I pass a window with the shade drawn. Before I realized it I was singing "All the shades were pulled and drawn, way down tight." Those words are from a song called "Silhouettes" which was very popular when I was probably in Jr. High school, and that was a while ago.

The words just flowed out. I must have remembered about 90% of them correctly.

Is this a good thing and I have access to a good memory, or am I getting like my father-in-law and I don't know what decade I'm living in? Hard to tell.

I know that music helps connect everything, so that with the tune, it is easier to remember the song as one until.

It is even more true that when there is emotion connected to something the memory remains stronger ( although not necessarily accurate). There certainly are a lot of emotions connected to Jr High love songs.

Anyway, I also remember that the song was sung by The Rays, and that about month later a group called The Silhouettes came out with a song that also hit #1 on the charts (Do they still have charts?) That was called "Get a Job" a refrain I still sing to several of my clients.

3 comments:

Warped Mind said...

I can remember the words to songs from my teen years but can't remember what I did yesterday. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

From within a dim light cast two silhouettes on the shade. Oh what a lovely couple they maaaade.

(I was either 8th or 9th grade.)

Jay M. said...

It's a weird thing, the ability to remember lyrics and tunes from just about any point in one's life. I wonder about that a lot. How much room in my brain is devoted to tunes, lyrics, and trivia.

Where does all the important stuff go?