Friday, June 06, 2008

pain 3, the doctor

So, after suffering too long and trying alternative solutions I went to the medical doctor today. I haven't been to a regular doctor, except for my eyes, in years, so this was a new guy in a big medical complex.

He was easy to approach, thoughtful, and reasonable. He did a few pokes and squeezes and twists and agreed that yes, I had sciatica. He said it has lasted a bit more than normal so that isn't a good sign. Then he wrote orders for tests.

I left some blood there at the lab, so they can see if I have cancer, and then I'm supposed to get an MRI. I buy my own insurance and have a $2000 deductible, so this will probably eat all of it up, especially if I get the MRI, which they said is about $1200. In Taiwan an MRI costs $125. I will have to pay for his insight, for the lab, for, and later for the guy to read the MRI, then the new people at the back clinic, and then the Physical Tx people. by then it will be over $2K so I will only pay 20% or something, who knows.

But the medical alternatives seem to be drugs and/or surgery, and I'm not keen on either. He offered my a few drugs to control the pain. that was friendly, but they are not the kind that will dampen the inflammation and heal the problem. They are more the kind that many of my clients try to buy on the street.

He also offered me anti-inflammatory meds, but said it would be cheaper to just triple my doses of Advil.

So, I'm taking more Advil, I will give the acupressure guy and the chiropractor another week to work magic or else I get the MRI and enter the medical world, but I am very reluctant to do so. I guess, as a psychotherapist I remain an "alternative" kind of guy.

For now, I am back to my favorite weekend medication, which is Jamison. It doesn't do much for the future, but it makes the present brighter.

Everything in moderation!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Treat Your Back Without Surgery" by Hochschuler & Reznik, ISBN 0-89793-234-X would be a good start. Do the PT for years even after the pain disappears ( it won't leave completely ) Although your mileage may vary, the odds are excellent that you'll beat this without either drugs or surgery.

BTW: Keep all of your physical therapy diagrams. There is an excellent chance that it will return.

Sorry about sounding so commanding. It is just easier to write that way.

Amanda said...

enter the medical world, but I am very reluctant to do so

I really feel for you because I am the same way. Doc appointments make me queasy and I have a mild lawyer-phobia. :)

Everything in moderation!

Cheers! Unfortunately I'm not at all good at it. Thankfully abstinence works just fine too. =)

Raine said...

I have had two friends with sciatica and with both of them HARD deep massage could ease the pain somewhat...........