Friday, June 20, 2008

more than diet and exercise

To me, as a psychologist, when I talk to clients about changing their life-style, it means much more than diet and exercise. The most important thing to me is for people to find ways to find comfort and eliminate stress.

This means more than deep breathing.

From my biased point of view, the best thing anyone can do is surround themselves with good people. That means people who love them, support them, and respect them. It also means that those people have the same expectations of you as you have of them.

Freud, who I don't quote too much, said that to be healthy you have to be able to work and love. I agree with that. Now, working may mean that you take care of kids, or a house, or just simply have found a way to pay your bills and be independent. Loving means that you can maintain a long-term relationship that is mutually rewarding, enriching and beneficial.

If where you work and the people you have around you constantly cause stress, aggravation, conflict and tension, then you won't do too well. You will get worn down, and have symptoms.

I realize that we can't all have control of who our families are, who employs us, and whoever else rambles into our lives and causes havoc.

The world now is full of paperwork, emails, computer menus, late fees, pre-authorizations, user fees, war and salmonella. In addition, our relatives (everyone has them) are angry, depressed, jealous, resentful and/or incapable.

So, making a life-style change can be very difficult, especially since you can't go around shooting people any more.

Even for me, to cut down the hours I spend sitting so that my back gets better, has not been easy. It should be, but it isn't.

But, I will get up from the computer now and stretch.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh. For a moment I thought you were talking about my life.

Tery Lynne said...

Eliminating stress? Well, that is something we all stumble with. Why is it that we find it so hard to eliminate stress? Why is it that we all need to speak with a therapist/counselor?

If only we can...stop...breathe...talk to ourselves and be able to get ourselves together and take hold of our frustrations, stress, and focus on making "Our World" a better place.

Carol said...

That post gave me some food for thought--but the stress in my life is directly related to "loving" and to "working". My DH is bipolar, so a lot of stress is related to that, and although I love him very much, it's a tough road...and also, because there are a lot of bipolar-related financial issues, I'm working 2 jobs, so stress there, too.

I don't want to make a lifestyle change as far as my husband goes, but maybe there's something else I could change to help me deal with the stress better, I don't know!

Raine said...

Controlling my environment helped my symptoms more than anything else did. If a person did not enhance my life they did not need to be in it. If they were detrimental, sarcastic, nasty , cruel then they were removed from my life. Of course this does leave many people.

Lena said...

Dean Ornish talks about those very issues in his book, Reversing Heart Disease.

nippercatshome said...

Stress has got to be the hardest thing to leave behind. Everywhere you go there is some sort of stress in a persons life...If only we could blink once and have it gone....Mary