Saturday, April 24, 2010

That's the Point!

It is gratifying to see that the dozen or so readers of this blog can see right through the obfuscations and machinations of my often vague and convoluted thought processes. Hey, I am just a psychologist. I am not a "real" doctor.

But, what you have all, in your own way, figured out, the message in my lat post is that, in life, it is the process that counts, much more than the actual achievement.
Yes, it may be great to win the award, but then what. You fade away and there is a new champion next season. You become a has-been and you remember you best days as learning, working, practicing, struggling and improving. That is where life is -- in the struggle.

My patient in the last post, walked such a fine line with such precision, that he reached his goal and then was left without a direction. He was living without a purpose. That is not success. That's why so many people, who have made or acquired so much money, often end up in my office with cocaine problems.

Even this, this very this blog. It has no goal. It is all process. I am grateful for the ten to twelve of you who read it. I am thrilled that you sometimes comment. I write because I am attempting, for basically my own edification, to figure out how the world works and why it works that way. If you guys sometimes want to come along and help point the way, I appreciate that. I can sue some direction.

In truth, I may not reach my goal. Psychology, really isn't like physics; or at least I am not Sir Isaac Newton. Although I am looking, I really don't except that I wil find the four basic laws of human behavior. (Well, there is this Love, Money, Power, Sex thing, but I will get to that in a later post).

It is the search that is intrigUing. It is the process that is captivating, and as long as I have the enthusiasm for it, life is fulfilling.

I hope you find such a purpose in your life.

Also, you probably don't remember the old Ian and Sylvia song that had a line which said something like:

"I am a lonely mistral come and listen to my tale/ all my comrades are insane or else they are in jail...
I have no use for heroes. they are misfits like the rest..."

And so it is...who really, has it figured out.

I mean, besides Sarah Palin.

3 comments:

Forsythia said...

It's indeed a mystery, and that's what's intriguing. What if we came with a book of instructions? Now, THAT would be boring.

therapy4help said...

Physical therapist jobs deal mostly with the rehabilitation process in helping patients to overcome physical limitations that have been placed upon them. Usually these limits are the result of illness or in many cases, an accident. There are many different types of therapy jobs out there that someone can get into, all of which focus on a different aspect of improving the patient's daily life.

Amanda said...

Your blog is just fine. Besides, you're the therapist I'll never have... but should have had 10 years ago. Better yet, 20.