Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I let it go on blog day

Today is "blog for mental health day" in case you were uninformed. I expect by now that you have already read countless mental health bloggers. If you want more you can find them today at www.yourmindyourbody.org.

But I don't think they would be thrilled with my post today. You see today I let one slide.

I had just finished a session with Al, who got so depressed because his girl won't talk to him even though he has sent her eleven text messages telling her that he has realized how wrong he has been. he was just a lump of hapless rejection. Of course he has a tough history of parental rejection and oppression going back to when he was three, so this hurt hit him badly.

Then I got a call from Ben. He said left a message saying he just got out of jail, but he wasn't a criminal. He went to jail for illegal gun possession. He had a gun because he wanted to blow his brains out. Then, in jail, he said they put him on the wrong medication and it really messed up his mind. He was looking for help, for the right drugs and for therapy.

Was this true? Is this really what he was seeking? Quite possibly.

But today. I really didn't feel I could offer all that to him. I referred him to the full-service clinic at the other end of my building. They have people who do therapy, give drugs, do home visits, and take his insurance.

Nothing personal, but today I didn't want to do all that.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

It takes a big guy to admit that.

KathyA said...

And you have that right.

Lena said...

It is a good thing to take care of yourself first.