Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekend's End ( while still in transition)

It's the end of the weekend.  I have two hours left to do whatever I want, then go to bed, wake up and begin the new week.

It is kind of different now, as I consider slowing down at work.  This is the first time in my life that I kind of feel that work could be optional.  We have reached a stage were we seem to have enough money that I really don't have to work too hard.  It's not that we are really up there with the bankers and the bond traders, but we are OK.  What I earn from now on will help, and money is certainly a good things to have here in America in the age of the Tea Party, but it isn't crucial.  I could hang around, drink coffee, read the paper, and visit my granddaughter, email my four friends, and still be able to pay all my bills.

Also, there is about two hundred feet of snow and ice out there.  The roads are narrow, the driving is difficult, the cold is uncomfortable, and more snow is coming.  That doesn't make me want to rush out and face the new challenges of the emotionally suffering.

But here, in the waning hours of the weekend, I just kind of stare out at nothing and let the time slip into the unstructured darkness.  My granddaughter is being taken away for a week to seek warmer air.  My wife is on the phone.  I could read more of the paper, but I already know enough about what's happening to stay upset, and new fashions are not my thing.

It's kind of nice to just sit here, with no pressure, not doing anything for a while.

I'm not that good at it.  I try and tell most of my clients to learn to do that.  They need to get away from the stress, not be constantly churning, not worry about every detail all the time.  Yet the world is in tough shape. There are so many families and many relationships and many children out there that are suffering and are a mess.  They could all use time and thoughtful attention.  There are too many people acting selfishly, or thinking sloppily and causing stress, strife, struggle, illness, injury and even death.
That's not good. It's not fair, it's not right.

But, that's not really new.  It's kind of been going on for 20,000 years.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Right now  I'll take a Tums and maybe everything will feel better.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

It seems that people with very social jobs are in greater risk for a burn out.

I certainly can understand why.

Lena said...

Nice you are slowing down.

My husband was in social services. He took early retirement and is now an artist and photographer. He didn't plan it that way, he just tried some new hobbies and they took off. And he is hosting a radio show at one of our local universities.

I envy his freedom and the opportunity to have his creative outlets. I hope I can make the most of my retirement when it is time.

But sitting and relaxing sounds real good to me!!

Raine said...

If your tums can do that I will have to start taking them LOL