Wednesday, September 05, 2012

new direction

As I said, I am gearing up to give a presentation at the state psych association conference.  I am going to talk about how technology could change the delivery of mental health services by 2020.  I have been thinking about how there can be more mobile monitoring, more use of direct, real-time measures of change.  There can be immediate therapist/patient contact through texts and apps.  Lots of new things can be introduced.

For years I have talked about how psychotherapy remains one of the few low-tech professions.  A good part of why it works is due to the  face to face building of trust in an interpersonal relationship.  I still think that is important, but there are so many new ways that the relationship can be enhanced by using technology.

What I notice now is how restless I get using the old traditional, one office visit per week.  I have begun to text some of my younger patients, and they seem to respond.  There could be so many other things that could be used.  I am already eager to see it all begin.

I'm sure many people do not agree, but eventually, they will all die off.

3 comments:

Forsythia said...

I am so "old school." Everything moves so fast now. One thing that slows me down is trying to make out the "two words" I'm supposed to type to "prove [I'm] not a robot" in order to leave a comment. It's a conspiracy to keep geezers out of the e-discourse.

Raine said...

I often cant read those words. My vision wont let me make them out

psychotherapy techniques said...

every ending has its new beginning..new beginning it means you would have a better direction, you should know how to work things out by having a new plans in life..