Thursday, April 04, 2013

struggles

I've written here before about how it is much more difficult for me, as a psychotherapist, to deal with the folks I see who are physically crumbling, hurting and in pain. I can deal with anxieties, depressions, wild ideas, bad judgment, bad behavior, as well as the lost and lonely, but the the suffering from illness, pain, especially when it is chronic and in a few cases, fatal, is the most draining for me.

Now, in my own home, my wife is dealing with a disease that is probably going to be chronic, is a long way from fatal, but is certainly life changing.  Although she has always been strong, healthy, active, alert, and for the most part living a much more correct and risk free life than I have, she has somehow contracted diabetes, in a form that seems to be a mixture of both Type 1 and Type 2.  Suddenly, from a life that was open and free flowing she has to take measurements, count carbs, and take a regimen of shots and pills that is still being calibrated.

I have no doubt that she will do all that she needs to do, and find a way to balance her life. Yet being hit with this, with really no warning or any way to anticipate that it would come, except for a sudden thirst and weight loss over a period of only a few weeks, is such a shocking smack of mortality that it has just washed me over with the sense of melancholy that comes with the realization that we are all so fragile and ephemeral.

As a husband, it is frustrating because I cannot reach in and turn her pancreas back on and drive away the virus, or toxin or whatever it is that has shut down that organ. I can only be here as best I can.

As a therapist, who works with so many other people who are suffering, and who has done so for so long a period, it seems to highlight how slow, inexact, and inefficient the process of psychotherapy is.

Since this has begun I have been more tired, and I have had to make an extra effort to be focused and attentive in my sessions.  What I see is that so many of the patients, who I have come to care so much for, really are more deeply troubled than I had wanted to see before.  Part of the way I work, which has been successful, is to regard all the people as basically able to function, and even if they are messed up I try to draw out their strengths and show them the expectation that they can improve their lives.  I am sure that this helps them reach for that too.

But when I really dig into their lives and minds I often see how difficult what they have to deal with is, and how their thinking  has been crushed by either/and emotions, family, illness, society or just bad luck.

And, as it is with my wife, all I can rally do is be there, reflect upon it, and talk to them about it.
These are not very powerful tools.

2 comments:

Forsythia said...

Just being listened to helps a lot. Just having someone's undivided attention for even a moment says, "Yes, you are here and you matter to me." When we "pass the peace" in church, I always try to meet the eyes of the other person for that moment. You feel somehow diminished when someone shakes your hand while looking off to the side to see who they're going to shake hands with next. I know this is a small, petty thing, but still . . . .

You and your wife are in my thoughts as you come to terms with the new situation.

Tory said...

I have that same kind of diabetes, you know, a mix of 1 and 2.
I know it all seems overwhelming, but I promise you, if your wife takes care of it as she should, she will live a long an healthy life with little complications.
I am the cautionary tale of one who got it and never took care of it until it was out of control.
I am going to be back often, as I am very interested in psychology and was going to study to be a counsellor until my health failed.
I would like to add you to my blog roll if that's alright.
Take care